Thursday 28 April 2016

Wow - Castel Sant'Angelo

It's amazing how some things happen for the best. After two failed excursions we ended up at Castel Sant'Angelo and OMG.

So my day started with a run that took me through Villa Borghese Gardens. I found Piazza Di Siena which is where they held the Equestrian event at the 1960 Olympics. Last time I was here I missed it but I was making sure that didn't happen again. It's a pretty cool little arena.
We headed off to the Vatican, we had to laugh at all the people trying to sell you 'Skip The Line tickets that were almost double the normal entry fee. And the line itself only took 5 minutes to get in. Despite being to the Vatican on two previous occasions, it was still great to see it again. The highlight was watching the look on Kylie and Milanas faces when the saw some of the stunning exhibitions. It all was a bit much for Sebastian after a while. But he did love the Sistine Chapel and the fact that the roof was painted by one of the Ninja Turtles (Michelangelo).

After lunch we decided to catch the bus to The Pantheon, but the bus never arrived. So we headed to St Peters, line to big. So I suggested to go to Castel Sant'Angelo. It's always been a building that I've admired - from the outside.

"WOW" was Sebastian's response, "Can we go in?" he asked. So we did and it was one of the most amazing places I've been. I won't go into the history, you can read a version here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel_Sant%27Angelo . It was amazing, the different rooms, walkways and fortifications were fantastic. The artwork in the papal rooms were amazing. Out in some of the courtyards there was some great frescos, sadly these are exposed to the weather and will one day be gone.
On the the 5th level is a fantastic terrace which provides some spectacular views of Rome. I was amazed at how much Kylie liked it, and well Sebastian, he thought being in a real castle was awesome. If you ever come to Rome, don't miss it.


2 comments:

  1. Haha. Noah had the same reaction as Sebastian when I told him about the Sistine Chapel. "Wow! The ninja turtles painted it!"

    ReplyDelete