Friday 20 May 2016

Italian Toilet Seats, What's The Go?

What's the go with Italian toilet seats? I love Italy but one thing that annoyed the, um, well annoyed me a lot was the toilet seats. I think it took us to the last place we stayed at to get a toilet seat that was secure. I don't know how many time early on where (especially in the middle of the night) you would thump your behind down on the toilet only to have it move and you nearly nearly fall on to the floor. It almost seems like the plumbers were having a little bit of a laugh at tourists and only tightening one bolt.

I must say that the traditional old squat toilet seems to have disappeared in Italian toilets. I only used one in the time we were there, not that I have a problem with them. Although the very first time I used one I almost ended up in it.


But the toilet pictured above gave me the biggest laugh. It was spring loaded to go up after you've stood up. I had to take a picture for my wife who has gotten fairly upset with my seven year old son and I for leaving the seat up this trip! This picture was taken in an Italian train. I actually found it strange as it encourages men to stand up to take a number one whilst moving. I was alway told that was a no-no on trains and buses and I found out why once in Cannes when the bus driver hit the brakes right at the wrong time. Bit embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment