Friday 14 July 2017

Where To Run In Shanghai





I love running along the Suzhou River (Wasong River) when in Shanghai! It is only 1km from the Park Hotel where we stay and once you get there you can run easily in either direction. The south side of the creek has wider paths and sections where cars aren’t allowed. If you turn right when you get to the creek it is only a few kms until you are at The Bund. I love the road leading up to The Bund. You get to see plenty of others out running as well as scooters whizzing along.

The Bund is an interesting place to run. I had forgotten how many people walk backwards along it. You have to keep your wits about you to dodge the other runners as well as the all the people flying the amazing kites. Not sure who gets the right of way, the Kite Flyers or the runners.

The sun comes up early in Summer in Shanghai so you can get out nice and early so that you can avoid the heat. The later you leave it the busier the roads also become. It is great to see the city come to life as you are running. They start early you will see people out welding, or moving dirt around at 6am. You also see the different forms or Thai Chi, including the group that dress in their nice white robes Shanghai People Yingxiong Memorial Tower (start of The Bund). Whilst I don’t normally take my phone with me running, you can’t help doing it when travelling so you can stop and take a few quick snaps.

Of course there is the smog, but I didn’t find it too bad and I’m and asthmatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment