Friday 3 June 2016

London Calling


London has long been my favourite city in the world to visit. I'm not sure if I'm just being sentimental because it was my first overseas destination or the fact on another few trips it's been the last port of call after being in non English countries so it was easy. It's just always had this vibe about it that I've loved. Whilst it was still there, it seemed to have lost it's appeal, only slightly. 

I'm not sure if it was the fact that we had had such a great time and when we hit London we came to the realisation that it was coming to an end. Nether the less it was still great. We had some nice weather to walk around and look at the sights.

We started with the London Eye. The kids had been looking forward to going up in it. It gives nice views especially up to Buckingham Palace. The kids loved the fact that the queen was home. Trafalgar Square was our next venture and I was devastated that they have banned you from climbing on the lions. It was a bit of a tradition to jump on the lions back and get a photo. I was going to do it but they had people patrolling and it looked as if one of them wrote out a ticket for someone who attempted it.

Our walk up to Buckingham Palace was well timed as they changing of the guards started. Kylie was a bit shocked at the pomp and ceremony that went into it. It was also Bank Holiday weekend and they had lots of things getting organised up at the Palace and it was crowded. It was a bit of a shame as they didn't get to look at it in detail. Of course one morning when I went running it was deserted so I got to have good gander. 

Portobello Road markets were great and Kylie and Milana bought a few things. It was a great afternoon so the crowds were out and there was a really good atmosphere. We got to see the Travel Book Shop from Nottinghill movie. Of course it isn't a travel book shop but a souvenir shop. at the markets there was a fantastic performer, you could have sworn it was Ed Sheeran himself.

My favourite tourist attraction in London has always been Tower Bridge. I think it looks cool. Every time I have been to London I have always put off going up the walkways. This time Sebastian and I did it. They have a couple of glass bottom floor panels and we timed it perfectly as they opened it when we were up there. It was pretty good to watch from atop.

We shopped a bit at M&M world. It was funny as Kylie had turned her nose up when I said that we should go there. But she enjoyed it. It is spread over 4 levels. It's expensive but oh well. We did get to see a huge bust up between a mum and her 7 year old. It was pretty horrific. 

On the last morning I ran 13km around the city. It is always the best way to see the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment