Tuesday 8 May 2012

Holland

Well our few days in The Netherlands went way too fast. It was great to see Roy and Anita again after 10 years, time flies. Of course now they have 3 beautiful kids. They were very generous hosts. Holten is a fantastic place and the countryside around there is wonderful. Riding the other morning was so peaceful and I loved the little villages. I wish I could of gotten out on the bike for longer. It was amazing to watch the Dutch lifestyle and just how much they rely on bikes. We went to Anita's mums 65th birthday and most of the guest rode there. It is not uncommon for them to ride 15 - 20 Kim's to work or school. As I was out running it was awesome to see bikes everywhere riding to work or school even when I was on a forest path there was a few riding to town. Yesterday we went I to Amsterdam for the day. It was every bit as beautiful as I remembered it. What I noticed more this trip was just how crooked the buildings were. Maybe I can claim that I have built my retaining walls at home in 'Amsterdam Style'. We did the usual boat tour of the canals and found some cheese shops. I was in heaven tasting them. I loved the pesto cheese. Also got myself some more stroopwaffles, mmmmm. The red light district was as usual a real mixture of people from all walks of life. If was funny just to sit back in a coffee shop and watch them all go by. I think the alley was were a lot more lit up and had a safer feel than last time I went.  It cracks me up all the bikes parked around the city in every place you could imagine. Even this morning at 5.45 the multi story bike park at Amsterdam ceentral was almost full. I wonder how many of them never move. Now typing away on the TGV, have wifi access which is great for the journey. Again, Australian trains suck. Well Paris awaits. It's been 13 years since I have been to Paris and that time I was lucky to see the outside of a shopping center.

No comments:

Post a Comment